Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sentencing is Scheduled

I know it's been a while but I've been waiting for the courts to do their thing. Harry and I went to a "hearing" on September 20. Finally the sentencing is scheduled for October 8, 2008. Although the prosecutor originally charged the man that shot Abby with a 6 year felony, he asked us to cut a deal that dropped the charges to a misdemeanor, feeling that a trial would end up in the same manner anyway. The deal is that he would reimburse us for all our expenses and the judge would sentence him for a misdemeanor rather than the felony. The maximum sentence would be one year probation, $2000.00 fine, 300 hours community service to be served at the Humane Shelter. We accepted with the knowledge that we could either attend the final sentencing or have the victims advocate read a statement to the judge. Obviously I don't know what the outcome will be but here is the letter I have sent to the victims advocate to read during the sentencing, the shooter will have to listen to it as well as the judge. I'm blocking out his name just to avoid any legal ramifications I might have. For those of you that wonder why we aren't going to the sentencing, Harry does not want to have to deal with seeing this guy again. I guess I cannot blame him.

While some people, even many people, may think a dog is just an animal, in our family that's just plain not true. We have two dogs and two cats, all rescued from the shelter. My dog Abby, the victim in this case, has been part of my family for more than eight years. She's been a loyal friend and confidant. She lays at my feet where ever and when ever she can. She allows me to cry on her shoulder, literally. She keeps me company and would do anything she possibly can for me. She accepts me unconditionally. All she requires from me is care; food, shelter, exercise and most of all love. I do love Abby dearly, just as I love any other member of my family.

June 7th 2008 Mr. XXXXXXXX saw my dog on his land and without even taking time to consider that there was a human present he shot her. He tried to shoot both my dogs, I guess it's a good thing the man is a bad shot. But being a bad shot also endangered Harry, the human that was only about 40 yards away from Abby. Not only did Abby (or the other dog, Wiley or Harry for that matter) do nothing to harm or antagonize Mr. XXXXXXXX, they had permission to be there by one of his sons.

Abby's injuries were severe, more than 10 pounds of flesh had been blown away. Her wound was 12 inches in width, eight inches in height and four inches in depth, although no bones or organs had been affected it was critical to get her immediate medical attention. Abby went through three surgeries and months of recovery. It is no easy task to care for an animal that has absolutely no understanding of what is happening to them. Harry experienced severe depression from this incident. He has still not recovered from it. Wiley runs and hides every time he hears a loud noise. I lost time at work, sleep and plenty of money during the entire ordeal. All because a man with a gun didn't take time to think before he shot.

It appears that this man has no regard for the life of innocent animals. It is my opinion that he should be taught a few lessons. First and foremost, a gun is a dangerous weapon, it should not be carried or used without careful consideration of the outcome and consequences of it's use. Second, ask questions first, take action after you get the answers. If Mr. XXXXXXXX had just driven further into his quarry he would have seen Harry and could have asked him what he was doing there, or simply told him to leave. Third, just because a dog doesn't belong to you doesn't mean it's a bad animal. There are officials responsible for catching stray dogs. Report the animal, don't shoot it.

I hope Mr. XXXXXXXX gets the maximum sentence allowed, I realize that the charges were dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor but I still think this man's crime should not be taken lightly. He should have to pay for his lack of regard, and his bad judgement. Not only should he have to reimburse me for all my expenses and emotional distress, spend the maximum number of hours doing community service at the Branch County Humane Shelter, pay court costs and all that, he should also have to donate money to the Abby Fund set up at Pokagon Veterinary Hospital, Angola, IN to help pay medical expenses for injured animals who's families cannot afford their care.

Thank you for your careful consideration.
Elizabeth French
Abby's care giver

Well, there you have it. I'll be back after the 8th of October to let you know what happened. In the mean time, Abby is doing really well, her hair has all grown back, she's back to being herself with the exception of loud noises scaring her much more than they used to and her butt is shaped considerably different than before all of this happened.



No comments: